On December 9, 2020, the Yellowhead Institute, The Leap and Tiny House Warriors closed out the year of Shut Down Canada, with this discussion on The Ransom Economy. The webinar goes beyond the media headlines into discussion about international Indigenous human rights, injunctions, criminalization of land defenders and the uncertainties of Canadian claims to land and sovereignty. Host Naomi Klein moderates a panel discussion with Indigenous land protectors on economic analysis and strategies behind the blockades.
The panel features:
- Kanahus Manuel: Ktunaka-Secwepemc, Tiny House Warriors)
- Molly Wickham (Sleydo’): Cas-Yikh (Grizzly) house, Gidimt’en Clan of the Wet’suwet’en nation. Spokesperson for the Gidimt’en Indigenous land re-occupation.
- Skyler Williams: Mohawk, Wolf Clan member, member and resident of the Six Nations of the Grand River Territory, and spokesperson for the #1492LandBackLane occupation
- Suzanne Patles: Mi’kmaq Mother, Indigenous Activist, Lt of the Mi’kmaq Warrior Society, Treaty Scholar, and Law Student
- Introduction and closing by Yellowhead Associate Fellow, Anne Spice (Tlingit, Kwanlin Dun First Nation).